Search this blog

Translate

Monday, December 17, 2012

Gujarati Kadhi

My bindi must have seeped into my brain to bring out childood food memories.  Tonight's Kadhi is something I eat regularly in my Indian family.  I don't know why I waited so long to make it myself.  I guess I just recently learned the name of this dish by browsing this wonderful website so I couldn't really search for it.  It's actually quite simple, and it's one of those dishes I can whip out whenever I want because they are ingredients I have on hand.  You wish your spice drawer looked like mine... don't you?
Ingredients:
1 cup beaten yogurt
3 cups water
4 Tbsp chickpea flour
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 inch grated ginger
(green chilies if you have them)
Seasoning:
2 Tbsp EVOO
2 dried red chilies (I used oiseau)
4 cloves
1 small piece cinammon
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp carvi seeds
(1/8 tsp hing if you have it)
sprig curry leaves (I used corsican tangerine leaves)
cilantro + green onions to garnish
Directions:
1.  Mix together the yogurt, water, and chickpea flour until there are no lumps.  Add the turmeric, ginger, and green chilies (if you have them).
2.  Pour in a pot and bring to a boil while stirring.  Keep stirring or the yogurt will separate strangely.  Then turn heat on very low.
3.  In a frying pan, heat oil,and add dried chilies, cinammon, cumin, mustard, fenugreek, and carvi until it snaps, crackles, and pops.  Pour into the yogurt mix and stand back in case it explodes.
4.  Add some cilantro, hing, and curry leaves and keep on low heat until you finish doing whatever you were doing.  Taste and add salt if needed.

Serve with chopped cilantro and green onions as soup or over rice with rotis.  Tonight was just as soup but oh my I can't wait to make rotis again!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment