Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Palak Paneer

My Indian background growing up included 2 major sides.  The Gujarati vegetarian family side, and the north Indian go out to the restaurant family side.  This dish is something I grew up eating restaurant side, and it has been one of my all time favorites since always.  I had never made it before because I didn't have paneer.
Now I have it!  I also have ShowMeTheCurry.com
Serves 5 as a side
Ingredients:
400g spinach (9 cubes), defrosted and chopped
100g (or double that amount) paneer
1 large onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, grated
1 tomato, chopped
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
some oil
1/4 cup heavy cream
Directions:
1.  Fry paneer in some oil, then pat dry with a paper towel and set aside.
2.  Fry onions in some oil until translucent.  Add the ginger and garlic and cook 5 minutes.
3.  Add tomatoes and cook until oil separates, stirring.
4.  Add the spinach, garam masala, cumin, coriander, salt, chili powder, and turmeric.  Cook stirring for 5 minutes.
5.  Add as much cream as you feel necessary, then add paneer until it all heats through.

Serve as a side or meal with basmati rice and rotis.
This is perfectly the way I remember it being.  Melts in your mouth (not in your hands.)
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment