Search this blog

Translate

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Chicken Adobo

If there is one group of people lacking representation in France vs the US (other than Mexicans), it is definately Pinoys.  What happened?  I see Indian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Cambodian, and Vietnamese people here (sorry if I forgot some, these were just off the top of my little brown head)... where did all the Filipinos go?  Balut Balut!!  Settle down here!
While I can't say I've grown up to Pinoy food, it has definately surrounded me during my HS and college years.  When I saw the Amateur Gourmet test out this recipe, I definately had to give it a try.. my way of course.  The best part is I didn't have to go special shopping for ingredients to satisfy my wild desires today.  Pleasure just effortlessly became me...
Serves 3
Ingredients:
2 lbs bone in skin on chicken, hacked into pieces (oh the torture!)
few tbsp peanut or sunflower oil
1 head garlic, cloved but unpeeled
1 onion, cut into 16 wedges
1/4 cup sliced ginger
5 whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
1/2 to 3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce (or GF alternative)
1/4 cup water
Garnish:
lemon or lime
chopped cilantro
Directions:
1.  Brown the chicken on all sides in the oil until nice and golden, about 10-15 minutes.  Reserve.
2.  Add the onions, garlic, ginger, peppercorns and bay leaves and cook until onions turn translucent.  Then add the chicken back in.
3.  Add the soy sauce and vinegar.  Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 45 minutes.  Add water if you feel it is necessary.

Serve over rice and garnish with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

Oh my the explosion of flavors in this dish is just insane!  It's sour and salty with a hint of something lovely.  I tasted at each step and the cilantro and lemon just bring extra depth that takes this to a whole other level.  I couldn't resist adding a chopped thai chili to my plate, but even without the heat, it tasted amazing.
Je valide...
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment