Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sesame Burfi

While I was out of town, I kept dreaming of Indian sweets among other things.  This Burfi responds perfectly to my urges, and I had most of the ingredients on hand on a sunday morning with the exception of condensed milk.  I had to make that myself which was actually very easy.
Makes about 30 pieces
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups sifted chickpea flour
4 Tbsp oil
4 Tbsp butter (100g)
1 Tbsp tahini
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
3/4 tsp cardamom powder (1/4 tsp if fresh ground)
1 cup sweetened condensed milk (mine was homemade but use a 14 oz can)
Directions:
1.  In a large non stick frying pan, melt the butter and oil.
2.  Add the chickpea flour and roast for about 20 minutes on medium heat while stirring and breaking down the lumps.  You know you are finished roasting once the flour changes a bit in color and releases a nice nutty aroma.
3.  Turn heat on low and stir in the sesame seeds and cardamom.
4.  Stir in the tahini and the condensed milk and take off heat.  Stir until well incorporated.
5.  Quickly transfer this goodness to a baking pan lined with parchment paper and press down to make an even 3/4 inch layer.
6.  Let cool in the fridge at least 20 minutes before cutting.

I'm curious to see if my little sesame twist works out.  The original recipe calls for chopped walnuts instead of tahini and sesame seeds.  I usually don't tinker with dessert ingredients, but I had an extreme urge to make this without the possibility of procuring additional ingredients.

To make 1 cup condensed milk, bring 1/2 L milk + 1/2 cup brown or amber sugar to a boil, then simmer on very low, stirring for 2 hours.
It thickens when off heat.  You can add a little water to get it to the correct consistency when ready to use.
Magic and without preservatives....
That last line may confuse my French readers, but if I said conservatives, my American readers would wonder why I'm talking about extreme right wing politics in my Indian dessert.

This dessert is not as sweet as the ones you can buy.  I can't really taste the sesame.  I may use more next time or sub chopped pistachios.  ooOo pistachios!
They have a very comforting familiar flavor with a little hint of cardamom which is more than pleasant... I actually can't stop eating these.  They just melt in your mouth without overpowering with sweetness.
Makes me want to pur...
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment