Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Roasted Chicken Noodle Soup

Also known as the flu killer.  At least I hope so.
I'm not sure where I gathered up the energy to make this, but after a piping hot bowl, I already feel better.  I just hope that feeling lasts.
serves 3
Ingredients:
1 large chicken leg, roasted with meat removed
1 large carrot,  chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp thyme
1 handful chopped celery leaves
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp white pepper
3 whole peppercorns
1 cube bouillon
1 Tbsp basalmic vinegar
as much water as you want it soupy
1 Tbsp flour disolved in a bit of water
some broken spaghetti or other noodles
some EVOO
Directions:
1.   In a large pot heat some EVOO and brown the chicken bones a bit.  Add the onion and cook, stirring until golden.
2.  Add enough water to cover the bones, then turn on low and let simmer for an hour or so.  I just fell asleep on the couch.
3.  Add the bay leaf, chopped carrot, thyme, turmeric, peppercorns, pepper, and bouillon cube.  Add more water to cover.  Simmer for another 10-15 minutes or until carrots are tender.
4.  Remove the bones and add in the roasted chicken meat with the chopped celery leaves and vinegar.  Add some broken spaghetti noodles and simmer until noodles are cooked, adding water if needed.
5.  When the noodles are almost done, stir in the flour/water mixture to thicken the broth a bit.  This is totally optional.  I only did it to not waste the extra flour I had aside from making the Tahini cookies.  How or why I found the energy to make those is ia total mystery.  Adjust seasoning if needed.  I added some fresh ground pepper because I like it peppery.

Serve very hot.  I couldn't help myself from adding red pepper flakes.  This tasted exactly how it should.  I had a taste in mind and was a little dissapointed in discovering that I didn't have any celery stalks and only chopped leaves, but they were an excellent substitution and gave that little taste I was looking for.
Now if only I could stop feeling like death, it would be nice...

Another interesting flu killer is a cup of hot water with a spoonful of honey and a slit thai chili.  Wow.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment