Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pistachio Coconut Burfi

I'm not sure what's wrong with me.  What do most people do after coming home from a restaurant?  Watch some tv, read, shower, play a board game or surf the internet... Me? I make Burfi.  I'm not hungry, but I wanted to make pistachio coconut burfi.  I'm probably planning something very Indian for tomorrow like masala dosas and dhokla with chutney.  Maybe...
And if I change my mind and decide to do some szechuan chicken or lahmacuns (turkish pizza), there will always be burfi for dessert!
This burfi is almost exactly like my Coconut Burfi but with an addition of ground pistachios and added cardamom.  I think cardamom is one of the most intriguing spices, especially if you dry roast and grind the pods yourself.  The aroma released is so invading...but in a good way.
Ingredients: 
2 1/2 cups (240g) sifted chickpea flour
  5 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp butter (75g)
  25g cup dried coconut
100g ground pistachios
  3 cardamom pods, roasted and ground
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk (397g)
Directions:
1.  In a deep pan, melt the butter and oil.  Stir in the chickpea flour a little at a time, as if you were making a roux.  Eventually the mixture will be more floury than liquidy.  That's what you want.
2.  Lower the heat and keep stirring, breaking up the lumps for 10 minutes, then stir in the pistachios and coconut and cook stirring for another 10 minutes until the flour is slightly colored an a nice nutty aroma is wafting through your home .
3.  Turn off heat, stir in the cardamom, then the condensed milk.
4.  When incorporated, quickly dump the mixture into a parchment paper lined baking dish.  Cover it all with more parchment paper and with a towel, press into a compact rectangular shape, 3/4 in thick. Let cool at least 20 minutes in the fridge before cutting into "pretty" diamond shapes.

These are delicious.  You can't really taste the pistachios, though.  I think I'm going to stick to the Coconut recipe, but its always nice to change things around every now and then.  Plus, the cardamom tastes great in these ones!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment