Search this blog

Translate

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Prasopita Kozanis (Leek Pie)

I was recently flipping through the book I usually use as a weight while making paneer and found a bunch of Turkish and Greek recipes I had never paid attention to before.  It's strange how I can flip through a cookbook a million times but at different times of day or year and I will always discover something as if it was the first time.
Hmm interesting.  I've heard that before in a slightly different context..
It's a miracle its still in good shape after this afternoon's baking shenannigans of flour and sugar all over myself and the floor while listening to A Day at the Races.  I have cinnamon and coconut stuck between my toes!
Again, I digress.  This Prasopita was perfect for my "enterrement de vie de jeune fille."
Goodbye adventurous 20's and welcome glorious 30's!
I've seen many Prasopita recipes using phyllo pastry, but this one uses semolina instead.  I like it better this way.  I would never have thought to use semolina this way before.
Serves 6 as an appetizer
Ingredients:
3 leeks, sliced into rounds and thoroughly washed
3 Tbsp EVOO
1 bunch dill (I used tarragon)
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup coarse semolina (50g)
3 eggs, beaten
1cup (100g) grated Gruyere/Swiss or Kasseri cheese
3 Tbsp breadcrumbs
7 oz (200g) cubed feta
Salt/pepper
Directions:
1.  In a wok, heat the oil and fry the leeks for approximately 5 minutes.
2.  Add the dill and bay leaves.  Stir and cook for another 10 minutes or until almost tender.
3.  Remove the bay leaves, add the semolina and incorporate.  Add some salt and fresh pepper.
4.  Lower heat and stir in the beaten eggs and grated cheese.
5.  Preheat oven to 425°F-220°C.  Sprinkle the breadcrumbs into a baking dish and transfer the leek mixture into the dish.
6.  Arrange the feta cubes over the surface of the dish.  Cook for 30 minutes.
haha they look like paneer!

Serve hot or warm.
I'm really appreciating the warm these days... For certain things only.
That hummus is the best I've made so far.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment