Search this blog

Translate

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Chicken Inasal

I think Pinoy cooking is the best way for me to use my coconut vinegar.  As my chicken is marinating, I realize that my coconut vinegar has a very strong aroma of coconut, and is actually sugar cane vinegar with coconut extract.  I'm sure it will be fine.
What I feel defines Philipino cooking more than anything else is the sourness factor.  They almost always have a game of salty-sour, sweet-sour, or even salty-sweet-sour happening.  Last time I made a Filipino dish, I was completey amazed at the flavor that develops just by adding some vinegar.
Ingredients
2 lbs (1 kg) chicken thighs, skin on
Marinade:
2 tbsp grated ginger
2 tbsp grated garlic
3/4 cup chopped lemongrass (or 2 tbsp dried)
1/2 cup coconut vinegar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup brown sugar or cassonade
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
Basting:
3 Tbsp annato oil (I used coconut..sacriledge?)
1/2 cup butter (I omitted and used leftover marinade to baste)
Directions
1.  Mix all the marinade ingrediens together, then slather all over the chicken, making sure to get it under nicely under the skin.  Refridgerate for 1-3 hours.
2.  Prepare the baste, then grill the chicken while basting.

I didn't grill, but rather roasted at 185°C for 45 minutes.  Instead of basting, I stirred the coconut oil into the marinade and spooned it over the chicken.
I served with some marinated grilled veggies.  I used the same marinade I used for the chicken, since it made more than enough.

The house smells of sweet vinegar.. which is a bit alarming.
Chicken Inasal is usually reddish orange, a color given by the annato oil.  I'll have to look into that for next time.  Mine just looks like grilled chicken, but the flavor is just phenomenal.  I was worried it would taste too sweet or too sour or too lemongrassy, but since it is not a saucy dish, this "grilled" chicken is just perfect.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment