Search this blog

Translate

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Zucchini and Onion Goat Cheese Quiche

I'm not sure what the difference is between a savory tart and a quiche is, but some people take it quite seriously.
I haven't posted anything typically French in a long time.  I still eat typically French things, but they're usually recurring dishes.  Although they're very tasty, they don't make my heart skip and burst and roll over and breath heavily.  Sometimes, though, I am in the mood for a nice quiche.  I have found that you can be quite innovative when it comes to quiche which makes it fun and almost heart throbbing depending on the mood or level of strangeness of ingredients.
Tonight, I'm keeping it simple and French with very little P Epices, but just enough to be delicious.
My neighbors donated an overgrown zucchini to me, here is its partial transformation:
Serves 6-7 as an appetizer, 2-3 as a meal
Ingredients
equivalence of 3 zucchini, sliced
1 1/2 onions, sliced
sprinkling of salt
lots of fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
3 Tbsp EVOO
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup (12 cL) heavy cream
2 tsp really good mustard
slices of fresh goat cheese (as much as you want)
1 pate brisée (I will make my own one day, but not today)
Directions
1.  Brown the onions in half the EVOO, adding a pinch of salt.  This should take a while, probably no less than 15 minutes.  Set aside.
2.  In the rest of the EVOO, sautée the zucchini, adding a pinch of salt, the paprika, and lots of fresh ground pepper.  You want it to be colored, but not mushy.
3.  Add the onions into the zucchini.  Turn off the heat and set aside to let the flavors infuse.
4.  In a bowl, beat the eggs and cream together.
5.  Preheat oven to 180°C 350°F.  If using a store bought pastry, remove it from the fridge 10 minutes before using it, then stab it multiple times with a fork.
6.  Bake the empty stabbed pastry for 10 minutes, making sure the sides don't fold over.
7.  Spread the mustard over the bottom of the prepped pastry.  Add the zucchini onion mixture, then arrange the goat cheese before pouring the egg mixture over it all.
8.  Bake for approx 30 minutes, then let cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
I served mine as a meal with a beet-apple-carrot-lime-scallion salad.
Simply delicious, although not very pretty.

The rest of the transformation will be taking place tomorrow on the plancha, alongside some sea friends and chile oil.  Ah yes, now THAT is what gets my heart throbbing!!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment