Search this blog

Translate

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Mandalay Carrot Zucchini Salad

Another Burma edition I am enjoying with a piece of meat.
This book is teaching me a whole new way of seeing salads...with tons of crunchy toppings.  I think this could extend to many other raw veggies beyond carrots and zucchini..or even tossed with some noodles!  I didn't add salt as the original recipe does.  It is salty enough with the dried shrimp and fish sauce.  I love the earthy umami flavor this has!
Surprisingly, I had all the ingredients on hand.
Adapted from p. 62
Ingredients:
2 cups mix of grated carrots and zucchini
1 or more Tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp fish sauce
2 tsp dried shrimp powder
1 tsp toasted chickpea flour
1 tsp minces green chili or pinch of chili powder
1Tbsp crushed peanuts
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp fried shallots
Directions:
Toss it all together and serve chilled.

Oooh!

This gets saltier the next day.  I think next time I will skip the fish sauce completley and add rice vinegar instead.
Or maybe it seemed salty compared to the watermelon salad.
It pairs quite nicely with some cod liver.  That doesn't sound too great, but it's like the foie gras of the sea!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment