Search this blog

Translate

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Truffled Kuri Quinozotto

Smells like magic...but the good kind!
The kind you always hoped would be real..and then find out that there is nothing more real than it.  A discovery you've known or heard about but never thought would be within your realm of experiment..
Ok, ok I didn't actually buy black truffles, but I do have this amazing truffle infused olive oil, which is more attainable unless you have a truffle finder with his own laced oak forest.
I didn't really follow a recipe here.  I went with instinct and availability.
Serves 6 as a side, 4 as a main
Ingredients:
1 red kuri or butternut squash, peeled and cubed
6-7 large mushrooms, sliced
Small handful dried cêpes or wild mushrooms
4 tbsp truffled olive oil
1 1/2 cups quinoa (I used mostly quinoa and a bit of bulgur) rinsed
1 handful parmesan
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups water
2 tbsp rocket pesto (or regular pesto)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp paprika
lots of freshly cracked pepper
1 handful chopped parsley
1 handful crumbled goat cheese (or feta)
Directions:
1.  Toss the cubes of kuri squash with 1 tbsp truffled olive oil.  Bake at 200°C for 20 minutes.  Reserve.
2.  Meanwhile, sautée the mushrooms in 1 tbsp truffled olive oil for 5-8 minutes until well colored.  Reserve.
3.  Heat the rest of the truffled olive oil in a wok.  Add the quinoa and stir to coat.  Keep stirring until the quinoa starts to color.
4.  Add the pesto, paprika, pepper, cêpes, nutmeg, and 1 cup of water.  Turn heat to low and cover.  Cook until the liquid is mostly absorbed.
5.  Add the kuri squash, mushrooms, cream, parmesan, and remaining water.  Cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa grains become pearly.  I didn't time it.. I just tried it.  Add salt if necessary.  My rocket pesto was strong in flavor because of the roasted pumpkin seeds, so I didn't need to add any salt.

Serve with crumbled goat cheese and chopped parsley.  I served mine as a side with some grilled turkey cutlets brushed with rocket pesto.  I had only a bit left and I had to either use it or freeze it.. and I'd much rather have another excuse to buy arugula than to freeze a tiny portion of my crazy pesto.  I'd easily eat it as a main dish, though.

This was heavenly.  I'm so excited that squash and mushroom season is near.  This year is going to be killer.  I promise...

*don't use bulgur if you're GF please
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment